Wednesday 18 March 2009

Pass the Dutchie pon da left hand side.

Unbeknownst to myself, apparently Scotland have a wee game against Holland in 10 days. This shocks me, as once upon a time I was up on my national team fixtures. Whether it is the joys of dealing with BBC complaints at work all day, or general apathy towards the Scotland team, I don't know.

It makes me sad, because we were so close during the Euro qualifiers (I can still see McFadden turning to shoot in my head) and people seemed to have genuine hope and faith regarding the Scotland team. Nowadays, its all a bit 'meh'. And I know I am not alone in this feeling. I remember being in Curlers on Byers Road watching the Norway game, and bar that miss, no one was particuarly gutted when we only drew the match.

George Burley seems to be a factor for me. Nice guy, done well with Hearts, but he comes across as awkward. Even Wee Craigy Broon could do interviews and articulate, even if what he said was a load of guff. Doesn't help that he picks players who have only played once in a year (Hutton, who might end up being put up against Babel or someone despite not being fit) and Kirk Broadfoot.

Does anyone else share the country apathy? What does Scotland need to do to get the fans back with the national team? I hope there isn't another 6-0 scoreline, but I worry. Nothing about the team gives me any hope, from the top down. Maybe its the last campaigns fault, playing above ourselves, I don't know.

1 comment:

  1. there does seem to be a total apathy toward this gaem which is in stark difference to the hype surrounding the italy game, remember clyde and all other commercial radio stations encouraged people to wear scotland strips to their work on the fri beofre? well that was a bit gay i felt but nonetheless it felt good to be scottish in those days a mere 18 months ago.

    I was at that italy game, i snuck in after paying off a guy on the turnstile i was also inparis when faddy made the guy off the radio utter the famous pick it out landreau and i now feel that the sheen has came off it a little. I am also heading out to amsterdam on friday to be there for the game, sadly i dont have a ticket.

    for me, the moment the shine came off was when we got succesful and all the corperate folk and their wives fancied going as a team building day out, until them me and my mate none of whom were ssc members used to queue up for hours to get our tickets together, the holland playoff game i left the house in the middle of teh night with enough people who could go so that we could get our tickets within the 3 or 4 per head allocationeveryone had, then it got whittled down to 1 per head, then it was phone up stuff, what happened was that we mostly all got tickets but were spread around the ground. now its jus tnot the same, i remmebr getting 2 16 seaters to go up to the florida bar, now i can barely fill one.

    who is to blame, well what i ahve mentioned to start with, the ssc, a season ticket to watch scotland is what it is, i npow have one becuase frankly it ws the only way. also gordon smith in his infinite wisdom never pushed to get all home games on saturdays, a moajor boob, iceland game will be pish. and george burley, sorry but for me he hasnt got it, he has no real leadership skills, i would rather he was arrogant than simply boring and some of his comments are cringe worthy. it may be worth a defeat to get rid of this guy as i dont think he has it. he also has ayr links which may be clouding my judgement.

    i disagree steve on the broadfoot arguement, if anyone displays what it is to be scottish then it is him, he has got to a stage where he has played a major euro final and scored an international goal on what is meagre talent, however he simply gets on with it and odesnt compain, he doenst pull any prima donna crap about favoured posititions he simply plays where he is put, a model scotland international. though if hutton is fit i would rather he palyed, kirk is alright by me.

    anyway, i hope against hope that we can pull something off even if it is just to put it in the face of all the naysaying bandwagon jumpers.

    when i wake up!

    ReplyDelete